Director Pedro Pires is making a come-back at TIFF, after winning the competition in 2009 for Danse Macabre, with his newest short film, Hope. Winner at the Paris International Fantastic Film Festival, the film shows the violence of war through the eyes of a dying General.
If you have seen Sin City, Transformers 2 or Pan's Labyrinth, then you have seen Grzegorz Jonkajtys at work, as lead animator or visual effects supervisor. For this year's Shadows Shorts competition, he is bringing the SF film buffs a dystopian vision with his 3rd Letter, a vision of a world where human life can only be sustained by bio-mechanical implants. Adder's Bite, Firas Momani's grim short, is another must-see for the fans of Horror genre, following a monstrous transformation of a strange visitor in a blood-thirsty plant.
The Jury for Shadows Shorts, TIFF's competitive section for horror and fantasy short films is composed of Daniel Cohen, Artistic Director of Strasbourg European Fantastic Film Festival, member of EFFF (European Fantastic Film Federation, Joachim Luetke, one of the most appreciated artists in horror graphic design and author of album covers for numerous heavy metal bands (Kreator, Arch Enemy or Sopor Aeturnus) and Andy Stewart - journalist at Scream, Britain's premier Horror Magazine.
Shadows Shorts Line-up:
1. Abandoned – d. Francisco Ruiz Velasco, 10' (USA / Mexico 2011)
2. At the Formal – d. Andrew Kavanagh, 8’ (Australia, 2011)
3. CTIЍ! – d. Cyrille Drevon, 14’ (France, 2011)
4. Decapota Shock - d. Javier Chilion, 9’ (Spain, 2011)
5. Hope - r. Pedro Pires, 11’ (Canada, 2011)
6. Legend / Leyenda – d. Pau Teixidor, 15’ (Spain, 2011)
7. Suffer – d. Kimani Ray Smith, 18’ (Canada, 2011)
8. The 3rd Letter – d. Grzegorz Jonkajtys, 15’ (USA, 2010)
9. The Adder’s Bite – d. Firas Momani, 9’ (Canada, 2011)
10. The Little Mermaid – d. Nicholas Humphries, 8’ (Canada, 2011)
11.The Peacock’s Eye / L’oeil du paon – d. Gerlando Infuso, 13’ (Belgium, 2010)
12. Tommy - d. Arnold de Parscau, 9' (France, 2011)
A preview of Shadows Shorts line-up can be seen here: