Transilvania International Film Festival is the first international feature film festival in Romania. The 19th edition will take place in Cluj Napoca, between May 29 - June 7, 2020.
Transilvania IFF's main objective is to promote cinema: films which reflect originality and freedom of expression, as well as films which underline new currents in young culture.
Cluj is an important cultural and artistic hub – evidence of this is, among other things, the increasingly larger number of films made in the area, films submitted every year for preselection at Transilvania IFF. Thus, the festival organizers plan to encourage and promote the films and creations of local amateurs and visual artists, works which have yet to be screened during the festival.
The Local Competition addresses both amateur and professional filmmakers, as long as they are from Cluj, or they now live, work or study in the county.
In order to be eligible, the films submitted for the Transilvania IFF Local Competition must meet with all the following conditions:
1. Must be completed between June 2019 and April, 2020 and they must be subtitled in Romanian and English.
2. The director/producer must be born in Cluj or must operate in the county.
3. They cannot be longer than 30 minutes.
4. Screening format is digital: Quick time, FullHD - 1920 x 1080, Codec h264 or mpeg2, Data rate 15 - 20 mbs, Stereo aac. No other format will be accepted.
5. Must be presented in their original version, subtitled in Romanian or English if that is the case.
Films made by filmmakers who won more than two awards at previous editions of Transilvania IFF Local Competition will not be accepted. A jury of three members with filmmaking background will bestow the following awards:
• Transilvania IFF 2016 Local Competition Award
In addition to the Grand Prize, the jury will bestow:
• Fabrica de Pensule Special Mention – for the film tackling topics or themes which are relevant for the modern society and current social context.
The best films submitted for the Competition will be screened during the Festival. The selection will be made by the same jury. The festival doesn't guarantee the screening of all the submitted films.
The director / producer of the selected film grants the screening rights, for free, to the Transilvania IFF 2016 Local Competition for the duration of the festival.
The director or the producer who holds the screening rights of the film must fill in the form and send it online on firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for submissions is April 10, 2017. Films submitted after the deadline will not be taken into account.
Rules for selection:
The organizers will announce the Transilvania IFF 2017 Local Competition selection before May 15, 2020. The films selected for the special screening during the festival will be announced subsequently.
The schedule of the special screening (order, screening time) will be determined exclusively by the organizers of the festival.
The films submitted for the Romanian Days competition of TIFF 2020, which were not selected for this section but comply with the rules and regulations of the Transilvania IFF 2020 Local Competition will be selected automatically.
The director / producer / distributor of the submitted film is the only one responsible for the data in the form.
The forms will be available soon for completion.